Saturday, April 17, 2010

Office Experiment #5 - KFC DOUBLE DOWN

This is what I look like when I'm on the go!
On the way to an adventure of epic proportions!
See the spring in my step! The intent purpose of my gait!

I was headed for a dire place.

In pursuit of the Colonel.

On another Office Experiment mission!

THE DOUBLE DOWN!

Yep. That's right...
Don't know what the Double Down is?
Well, here's the breakdown (straight from the KFC website):

The new KFC Double Down sandwich is real! This one-of-a-kind sandwich features two thick and juicy boneless white meat chicken filets (Original Recipe® or Grilled), two pieces of bacon, two melted slices of Monterey Jack and pepper jack cheese and Colonel's Sauce.

Unsure of what I was getting myself into, in a gastronomic sense, I decided to throw caution to the wind and just order the meal...with the fries and root beer.
It felt like a good idea at the time.


These were my co-pilots on the trip.
Eric and Jake are some of the bad ass graphic designers I get the pleasure of working with...and they are always down for exploring some sort of fast food atrocity for the sake of SCIENCE!

However, they are total smart asses who insinuated that the gentleman behind the counter, who was shockingly similar to a robot, may have impregnated me.
I'll let you know if the encounter was that life changing...

Ah, the beauty of mosaic.

As we waited for our orders, we joked about root beer wells, meth labs, and our colons.

Apparently, Eric wasn't too terrified at the proposition of eating a Double Down. He said, "My colon is strong!" - a ringing endorsement for trying one of these beasts!

We spent more time than any of us had really expected to spend in the this dual KFC/AW...

and made a real production out of ourselves.
Alright, Eric wasn't really into it. I forced him to take this picture with me!

The ride back to the office was a sort of a mix of anxious excitement and fear.


But clearly, the smiling, happy faces welcomed us and our deep fried booty back!
Michelle was ready to tackle this monster!

So, we settled in...

Got down to business...


And here's what I'll tell you about the Double Down...
Have you had Chicken Cordon Bleu?
If you have...then you've essentially eaten a Double Down.


It's fundamentally...a chicken breast sandwich.

I guess it could be gross, but if you think about it...it's not that weird.

Scott was into it!
There was even talk of him needing more than one if he were to eat the Double Down again.

Eric and Jake are totally in love with this kind of shit.

They both gave the sandwich a thumbs up.


Eric also drank this retarded orange thing.
I think it looks like more of a nightmare than the Double Down does.

For me, it was alright.
I mean, it tasted fucking good. It really did.
But it's also not something I would ever eat unless it was for the sake of an office experiment.
When I go to KFC...I exclusively want mashed potatoes and gravy - so, this was a little over the top.

When the gentleman working the counter originally wrote my name on the receipt, he wrote it as "McKey".
Does Becky sound like McKey?
Weirdo.

Interestingly, there's been a lot of talk about how disgusting and gratuitous this sandwich is...if you can call it an actual sandwich.
But Eric made a fine point...
He said, "If I got a bucket of chicken from KFC, I would eat way more than what I've eaten here.".
Which sort of puts it in perspective - it's not that much food or anymore caloric intake than what a normal dude might put away.

I think Jake might have been in an MSG induced pleasure zone.


Overall, Michelle was down with it.

Scott approved.

Jake would do it again!


And Eric simply closed his eyes and dreamed of his next encounter with the Double Down.
That's the face of satisfaction, my friends...don't you dare mistake it for anything else!

To read another review of my super amazing friend Chris LaTray's Double Down experience...please go to his blog: Stumbling the Walk
Actually, read his blog all the time and follow him on Twitter @chrislatray , please and thank you!
He's crazy smart, super talented, and he's just one of those Montana people that you wish you knew more of!

3 comments:

Chris said...

Synchronized blogging. We just moved the internet into the 22nd century. We rule.

Becky Hensley said...

SO BAD ASS!
Reinventing blogging - that's us...setting trends!
xox

Chris said...

I expect someone to give lots of money come Monday morning to learn our secret. We just one-upped the friggin' Colonel's secret recipe.