Thursday, February 19, 2009

Thank You, Urban Dictionary

So, I was casually browsing through the daily Urban Dictionary entries and I found something amazing. Something that I have been trying to give a name to and something that I am profoundly afflicted with.

VOCD

"Volume Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder"
Function: Noun

A psychoneurotic disorder in which the television viewer is beset with obsessions or compulsions or both to adjust the volume on the television to a "perfect" number, such as 15, 20, 25, etc. and suffers extreme anxiety or depression through failure to adjust the volume or witnessing an "imperfect" number (9, 16, 31).


Joe has VOCD; he must adjust the volume on any television in which it is not set to a perfect number.

I don't just do it with the TV though...I obsess about it in my car too.
EDIT: SORRY! The link works now!

3 comments:

Chris said...

I don't know how related this is, but I've stumbled across this particular item a number of times given the number of new cars I'm in with all the rentals I use. There is a setting on some stereos that as the vehicle slows down, the volume goes down. That is the worst "feature" I have ever, EVER, encountered. Fucking engineers anyway. . . .

Becky Hensley said...

I have never been in a car that does this!

BUT...my number one complaint, I would imagine, would be that when you stop...that is the PERFECT TIME to really rock out.

Drum fills on the steering wheel.
Singing into the vanity mirror.
Synchronized car dancing moves.

Slowing down is just when I'm gearing up!

xox

Chris said...

I knew you'd feel this one.