Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Qualified Technician - SUPER POST!

Baby S and I got to DIA at about midnight...
We were catching the red eye to New York.

This is a brutal travel arrangement...and it becomes clearer, the older I get, how painful time changes are and how inflexible body clocks can be.

We boarded Jet Blue, hunkered down and tried to sleep away the tedious plane trip.
Thankfully, there weren't many passengers and I moved to another row and had a decent lay down.
I woke up with one of those annoying air blowers pointed straight at my face and felt as if perhaps a Swine Flu had infected me.

Spencer is an old pro at getting around and I was thankful for that...I sort of went on auto-pilot and let him lead me.

Oh, also...in this pic...Spencer is Twittering about a pigeon getting run over my the subway train car.
Morbid little bunny.

We arrived at about 6 in the morning.
A little Dunkin' Donuts decaf with sugar set me straight momentarily...

My first MetroCard.

I want to briefly state that I'm not really NYC material. Don't get me wrong...I LOVED the city, but I also felt a panic and anxiety that intrinsically exists there.
On the subway with my luggage, packed with commuters...I started to think - "What if I get diarrhea, a bloody nose, vomit?" "What if that starts happening to someone else?"...
There are conveniences to every place and I see the draw of a place like New York. And it's not that I'm just a girl that lived most of her life in Montana and Wyoming...some hick that can't hang.

Or maybe that IS what it is...

We stayed in Brooklyn right off the Cortelyou Rd. stop.




Spencer's hilarious and totally amazing friend Adrienne put us up at her sweet two bedroom apartment in Ditmas Park. The neighborhood was amazing!
I meant to get a pic of Adrienne before she scooted away, but missed opportunity after opportunity because I was too busy listening to her awesome stories about visiting India!

THANK YOU, by the way, Adrienne!
Come to Denver and let us treat you!

After a much needed nap, Spencer and I met his lovely friend Lenora for Thai at their fave place.

Curry often fixes a lot of things.


See, I told you Lenora was lovely? Spencer and Lenora mostly talked shop while I gazed about in a daze of wonder and exhaustion.
They're both brilliant PhD students!

After lunch, we started walking...and didn't ever really stop. Not that I'm opposed. I really believe that walking is the best way to know a place.





But, when the walking finally stopped, we were at The Strand.

18 Miles of Books!
And what is more appealing to my cohorts and I than piles, tons, and gobs of books.
I overspent. I'll admit it.

But...being a bibliophile/bookworm...it's hard to resist.

I've been deep, deep, deep into a Gossip Girl Season 1 marathon...
So, seeing this endorsement of sweet Dan Humphrey rockin' a Strand tee was divine!

Union Square.

Sadly, we had limited time for exploration because we had a date with Throbbing Gristle.
I know, right?
I was shitting my pants - figuratively, i.e. not on the subway.

When we got back to Adrienne's, we each had little power naps before we ate something and hit the show in Fort Greene.

We shared a bottle of Mondavi - My mother would have been so thrilled.


And ate some wicked good pizza.

This one's for Ian Bruce.

Brooklyn Masonic Temple - Fort Greene

Emeralds...
This band, for better or worse, reminded me of a show my mother took me to when I was a wee babe.

That show was called Manheim Steamroller.
Unfortch, for the Emerald dudes...the crowd wasn't that into it...I suppose opening for Throbbing Gristle is a blessing and a curse.

Decorative swastikas.

The crowd.
Holy shit, the crowd. It was so strange to be at a show where everyone came off as dark, intellecutal, and mature.
No randy moshing, no fist pumping...

And handsome boys...Oh! Spencer and I were in 7th heaven.


The temple was a truly beautiful place.

Unlike any other show I've ever been to before, when TG stepped on stage, the house lights went up.
No need for dramatic light shows and tension building spotlights.
Cosey Fanni Tutti, Peter Christopherson, Chris Carter, and Genesis P. Orridge simply stepped on stage and got to work.

G.P.O and Chris Carter.

Balcony.


Cosey playing a horn...it was beautiful.

This guy with his creative TG hair art.

Peter Christopherson wore a cow print robe. It wasn't a Snuggie, but it look comfy.

When it was over, everyone just stood there looking at each other.
Like, "What the fuck do you do when your life changes?"...

I'm so lucky.
This is the 2nd show that TG has played in New York in the last 32 years or something.
Who knows when that will happen again?

On the way out, after spilling more of Spencer's wine than he was able to slurp...we caught sight of the secrets of the Masonic Temple.



It was pretty neat in there.

If you have a chance to go to this place for a show, as I've heard that a lot of shows are happening there...GO!

It's worth it.

DO WASH, PLAY LOTTO!


After we made it back to Ditmas Park, we stopped in at George's to grab some diner food and rest our feetsies.

This place was amazing.

Weird, empty, and perfect.

George's Gyro Platter, at 1 AM, was probably not the best choice, but it was delicious.

I slept like a stone...dark, cold, and heavy in the guest room of Adrienne's apartment.
And good thing too - another big day ahead...

No comments: