Monday, February 15, 2010

Darling I'm Down And Lonely

My amazing friend Jen Wood and I went out thriftin' on Saturday.
We found many treasures - who knew what a wondrous day it would be though!

Clearly, we saw the Kabob-It.
One of us should have purchased it, but I don't have a single place to store a Kabob-It...so it would have had to have been on Jen. And she didn't seem thoroughly convinced of its convenience and novelty.

It looks pretty amazing though, right?

Hilariously, Jen had kabobs for dinner that night and sent me a photo text of her kabobs saying, "Wish I had a you know what!".

Jen was a on a mission for certain items...and I was just tagging along for whatever struck me.

I found a significant amount of Caboodles...so, if anyone is in the market, let's talk!

Jen bought some books and an owl.

And I found this!
A griffin painted on a wooden shield - all folk art style.
Yes, I bought this. Let's not get into how jealous you are.

We appreciated some of the furniture offerings...
I can only imagine how much cocaine has been sniffed off of these end tables.

Jen liked these...
Plaid and leather.


We stopped at The (new) Walnut Room on Broadway and had some salads, pizza, and beers!
Jen's treat! What a peach!

And staggeringly, the total was $23.75!
I knew, right then and there, that something good was going to happen!

The pizza was one of those good things!

The rest of the thrifting I didn't really document because I got too wrapped up in the awesome things that I found which I will recount below.

First, I bought a bottle of Tempranillo because I needed to celebrate my finds!

Yes.
A bucolic woodland scene.
Yes, that is a crew of deer, skunks, and one single raccoon keeping it super casual in an embroidered forest.
Don't get me started - I love this fucking thing.

The full view of the aforementioned griffin shield.
Spirit animal? Yeah, maybe...(Actually, that's a lie - my spirit animal is the narwhal)but when something like this presents itself to you...you must embrace its inherent power and let it be in your life.

A quilt.
FOR $12.50!
Yes, it's the cutest thing.
The execution isn't amazing, but it's the color of the pieces selected and the earnest effort of it that makes me love it!
I'm totally picnicking with it this spring and summer...will you be seated next to me on it eating an egg salad or what?

And finally, the penultimate thriftin' score...
THE FAMILY CREATIVE WORKSHOP.

The whole friggin' set. All 24 glorious editions!

I'll go into how amazing this thing is later, but for now...just know that I have so many amazing plans with this set of books!
Just think...pewtersmithing, tie dying, corn cob pipe making, and face painting!
These books were printed the year before I was born and they are so glorious!

I'm seriously dying over how amazing they are.

I had been invited to a lady's game night over at Darling Meg's, but had been non-committal. Remind me never to be non-committal again.

The food was incredible, the ladies there were awesome, and the kir royales tasted of heaven!

We played Foodie Fight - sort of half assedly...

I was sort of rockin' it too, but it was hard to keep our attention focused on the game when the company was so hilarious!

The kir royale, lady drink of all lady drinks!

Andrea was being friggin' hilarious!
This picture makes me laugh for a hundred reasons.

And we laughed so much and so hard!
Miriam, Andrea, Bryony, and Christine!

OMG, it was amazing!
Darling Meg and Lady Sarah Menkveld!
I'm so glad I hung out - if I hadn't gone, I would have cheated myself such an opportunity!

The next day, I chowed down at The Blue Bonnet and hung heavy with some more special ladies for V-day!

My main girl Brandy Lou!
Christ, what an amazing young woman she is!

Maura was rockin' a sweet hairdo and some Valentine's Day spirit!

And Steph was there too - being cute and super funny!

What a great crew to shoot the shit with and rehash our romantical trials and tribulations!

The long weekend was wonderful!
Happy Valentine's Day, my sweet little babies out there!
I adore your faces!

6 comments:

Yale said...

I assume your thriftin' took place at one of metro Denver's 10+ ARC locations? That place is a god dang non-stop cavalacade of treasures!

Watercolor painting of three clowns playing clarinets? Check.

1983-vintage blouse-style Arby's uniform? Check.

Gently used men's briefs with "MELVIN" written in Sharpie along the waistband? Check.

TV in an 8-foot-long wooden console with a record player AND 8-track player built into the top? Check.

Small Mexican child hiding in the clothes racks, peering out at me as I peruse the men's slacks? Always.

Pervasive bouquet of lye and mothballs throughout the store? That's a promise.

Becky Hensley said...

YALE!

YES! The one on Colfax next to Casa Bonita!
They were a little expensive, but the finds were too amazing to resist!

The other spot was a Goodwill on Broadway!

You nailed down the experience perfectly!

xox

Maura said...

Of all the amazing comments I could come up with for this blog, I'm having a photographer moment. That monochromatic photo with the red "Invest in Art" writing on the door is AMAZING! I don't want to get all crazy about it, I just can't stop staring at it. Can I print and frame it? You know I am one of your biggest photography fans, right? That is one of your best pictures.
lovemaura

Becky Hensley said...

MB! Print it! Frame it!
I'm glad you like it!

I don't really consider myself a photographer - just a goof with a camera...but I'm glad it's working for someone!

Thanks friend!
xox

Jennifer said...

#1 - Goodwills and ARC's in Denver?! No way! :) #2 - I think dad & mom still have a kabob it. #3 - I know that doesn't surprise you.

Did you hit up Casa Bonita?!!!

Love you sis!

Becky Hensley said...

OMG! Sister! It brought back SO MANY memories!

We didn't go to Casa Bonita - I'm waiting for your next visit!

Love you back and miss you too! I'll email you soon!

xox