Friday, June 26, 2009

I Don't Believe It


THIS is the Michael Jackson that I have always loved.
I've been a fan forever - although, I did lose track of him as he became more eccentric.
Still, I had a fondness for the musician I adored as a kid.
One of my first tapes EVER was Thriller. I still have that tape...almost 30 years later!

Thriller wowed me! I loved every song and that impeccable album followed me throughout my life.

In my adolesence, I would dream up dance moves, sing along, and imagine MJ as my boyfriend.
My sister, years later, would have a similar obsession with him...singing to songs on her walkman - her eyes closed earnest as if she'd written the songs herself.
I remembered the feeling that Michael Jackson inspired in me.

These days, if I'm with my Dog Dick ladies, a room full of strangers, or at a patio bar having a summer cocktail...when MJ comes on...everyone's dance moves come out.
Missoula dance parties weren't a REAL party until we danced to 'PYT'!

I'm saddened beyond my ability to express. I guess, honestly, I never really gave any thought to people that I admired as a kid dying off.
It's the natural flow of things, of course, but I'm surprised by my reaction.
Surprised that my references to him, now, will be in the past tense.

RIP MJ!
I haven't moonwalked in ages, but I think I'll try it in the kitchen again...for old time's sake...
Just like I did when I was seven!

No comments: