Friday, June 5, 2009

There's A Crack In Everything, That's How The Light Gets In



Baby S graciously bought me a ticket to join him at Red Rocks Amphitheater to see Leonard Cohen for my birthday.
The show was supposed to be on Tuesday, but it was postponed for rain...and happened last night.

Honestly, I haven't been a Leonard Cohen fan. He just wasn't someone I followed. I'm sure hordes of Cohen fans would be outraged to know that I sat at the show and knew little of his repetoire - except for what I know of an album that Spencer bought me when we were in New York.

However, I'm happy to report that I'm a convert.
You can listen to his albums, let your brain be led through the dark cavernous grotto of his golden voice, and try to imagine how truly brilliant, humble, and devastatingly sophisticated and dear a performer he is...but when he is standing on the glorious stage at Red Rocks...you begin to feel a part of his world and it's a world I regret not knowing earlier.

There were points in the show where I cursed my inability to express myself as distinctly as Cohen. When he gets down on one knee and punctuates his songs, AT 75 YEARS OLD, you lean in almost breathless as he regales you in his past adventures, lovers, and complaints.

I'm forever grateful to Spencer for giving me this once in a lifetime opportunity to experience Mr. Cohen live and in person.

In other news, there were a lot of old people there that smelled like nursing homes, had hair growing out of the tips of their nose, and braids...silver grey braids EVERYWHERE!

It was amazing!

No comments: