Tuesday, December 1, 2009

This One Might Be Your Last

I know everyone says this about the place that they live or where they grew up...but honestly, there is NOTHING like a Wyoming sunset.

I jetted home last weekend to celebrate the first Thanksgiving for our little family...in our new family home!

The moment I arrived...I saw this.
Gingerbread cookies...

My mom made my Mimi's pecan pie recipe...

And her grandmother's apple pie!
Holy moly!

Wynnie was there...
Maniac.

I tried to make bread.
It was a dreadful failure...
No consideration was given to the altitude difference between Wyoming and Colorado.
It's significant, apparently!

Mom was thrilled to pull out the leaves on her dining room table for her guests!

And when the table was finally all set with her beautiful dishes...

She set to work opening the champagne.
We had to toast to this fine occasion.


It's sort of a family tradish to get a little tight on Mimosas...it's what we do!

For some reason, cooked turkeys always look vulgar to me.

The spread was unbelievable.
All my faves!
The dressing was incredible!

Bill and Billy came into Glenrock to eat with us...
They had two other dinners to go to - I felt sort of sorry for them!

Mom's friend Donna dropped by too...
And in an unusual turn of events, we dismissed our lady like behavior and ate in front of her!

I'm a mashed potatoes and gravy kind of girl.

But I love candied yams!

RELATED.

Like a total slob, I cleaned my plate and then found a corner of the couch to groan in until I made room for more.

The next day, we trimmed the tree.

I'm very fond of this tradition because so much of what makes up our family tree are things that we've been using since I was a wee munchie.

For instance, this weird Santa ornament...
It was made from a dried apple or something and now it's turned black and it's revolting.
I made sure not to hang it too close to the floor in case Wynnie got a hold of it.

After we finished with the tree, we took a walk.

The wind in Wyoming is brutish and unrelenting.

It throws things everywhere.

If you don't secure everything, you might find your belongings strewn about!

BFFs.

More and more, I'm loving Glenrock.
There's a humble vein of integrity that you can feel pounding in the ground and in the air.

Sigh...

Home of the Herders.

Sexy air freshener.


Criminy.

Double criminy!





Later, we lit up the tree...

the nativity scene...

and turned on the lights we hung outside.

Mom was ecstatic...and when my Momma is happy...I'm happy!

We tortured Wynnie...

And I had some pie.

Couldn't be better than that, my lovelies...not by a long shot.

3 comments:

Yale said...

Baby Westies are probably the most adorable thing ever.

My folks have a pair of Westies that are grown up now, but when they were babies, I just couldn't get over how cute and funny they are.

Becky Hensley said...

Wynnie is the funniest little beast ever. She does the oddest things and then looks at you and cocks her head to the left and right inquisitively!

I'm curious how the Westies are as older dogs...
I think this is the perfect pet for my Mom, but I know very little about breeds specifically.

What's the scoop, Yale?!

xox

Yale said...

I don't know how they compare with other breeds, but these adult Westies are feisty and generally pretty enjoyable. The older one (I think he's 10) has gotten pretty cranky lately though, I hear.