Monday, August 4, 2008

Ah, But I May As Well, Try And Catch the Wind

I saw this sexual cannibal today. Perched on the edge of a curb of the parking platform at the building where I work. It appeared wounded and curious about the strange surroundings - funny, the way it cocked it's head and moved forward on long sloping legs.

The internet tells me that the praying mantis is a popular subject of mythology and folklore. Frenchies believe a praying mantis points a lost child home again. The Arabs and Turks believe the praying mantis points toward Mecca. Africans thought the mantis brought good luck - such good luck infact, that it could bring someone back from the dead. Of course, Americans believed they blinded men and killed horses - stupid Americans. The Chinese find that mantis eggs, roasted, are a cure for bedwetters.

Who's to say really?

I considered rescuing this little beast, but I figured gathering him up and bringing him inside would do more harm than good.

Hope the little monster caught some wind and found refuge...

2 comments:

Maura said...

Your good thoughts definitely sent a cool breeze for him to ride away on. I guess not all Americans are stupid! Some of them actually stop and appreciate the small things that make this world beautiful.
lovemaura

jonathan said...

Why's he so smug?