Monday, January 11, 2010

Office Experiment #3 - MCRIB

As some of you may know, if you follow this blog at all, my co-worker Adam and I have done a couple office experiments in the spirit of camaraderie and friendship. We also might do it because we have really similar and WEIRD senses of humor and like to make each other laugh.

The first was the Camel Snus experiment and the second was just documentation of a rad hang out where we ate a bunch of shitty food, drank pumpkin beer, and went to see Paranormal Activity.

We've been wanting to step up our experiments for a long time and agreed, before the holidays, that we would be willing, for science, to sample a McRib and see what all the hub bub was about.
Thing is, we couldn't do it alone. We needed some experienced McRib eaters and some fellow virgins to join us on our mission.

Here are the results:

First, this here is Jake...he designed the header of this blog!
Celebrate him!

Jake accompanied me to McDonald's as an assistant.
He is acquainted with the McRib.

Another McRib expert - Eric came too!
They are both rad graphic designers with rippin' senses of humor!
I dig them for sure!

Yes. This is the place.
Generally, I hate to go to McDonald's.
Not really because everyone says I'm supposed to hate it, but because when I eat it...it always makes me feel like shit.

And sadly, every once in a while, I have to test the theory and always realize what a dire mistake it is.

This is what we'd come for.

For some reason I thought Jake had captured me pointing at it, but instead I am pointing at some foliage.

When I placed the order...I realized that I said McRib approximately more than six times.
I wanted to laugh, but the woman taking my order seemed pretty serious about the whole thing.

I had sort of a vague fear that they'd run out of McRibs.

This is my list.
In all, with my order and Jake's & Eric's - we ordered 11 McRibs.
Many of the orders were meal deals...with sodas...one with extra BBQ.

With Jake's assistance, we lovingly filled every soda and the three of us piled out of McDonald's with more food than I've ever purchased at a fast food joint.
It sickened and excited me!
Also, it made my car smell like a french fry!

This is the gluttonous spread.

Can you believe it?

Jake jumped right in!
He was psyched!

Actually, Jake ordered two McRibs...
RISK TAKER!

But he and Eric jumped the gun...
We needed a group pic.

This is the work crew(left to right):
Jake, Ned, Eric, Craig, Michelle, Me, Scott, and Adam

Scott was another one that ordered 2 McRibs...
Quite frankly, the idea of eating one was terrifying, but TWO?!



The rest of us were a little apprehensive.
Craig was spirited about the whole thing, as was Ned.
Michelle was skeptical...
And Adam was downright nervous.

Experienced.


Adam sort of lingered with his french fries for a long time.
I couldn't blame him...I didn't know where to start either.

But finally, I gave in.
I took a bite.
And it was weird.

McRibs are strange.
They taste like pork, chicken nuggets, and other stuff that explicitly tastes like McDonald's...but nothing that you can put your finger on or, better yet, give a name to.

It's sort of soft, gristly, but the texture is familiar and you eat it even if you feel uncomfortable about it.

A-Dawg partaking!

YES! Success!

Have you seen the McRib?
It's strangely pressed into the shape of a bun sized set of ribs.
Pressed to look like bones.
Pressed.
Ugh.

Michelle really couldn't get down with it...

Craig dove right in and loaded fries on his!
That's the way to do it!

I got McRib sauce all over me.

Even my pants.

Scott definitely looked satisfied!

And I got pretty far with my McRib...

The consensus was mixed.
The McRib lovers would do it again in a split second.
The newbies were weirded out...
And me, I'll never eat one again.

It's not that it was terrible, really, but again...I immediately felt disgusting and tired.
Run down in a way that even a fountain soda couldn't fix.

Adam finished his off and ceremoniously dusted his hands of the whole affair.


What did we learn?
Pressed meat sandwiches aren't for everyone, but it's fun trying to figure out what they are all about!

Have a suggestion for another office experiment?
Let me know!

No comments: