Thursday, December 18, 2008

Hope Will Never Be Silent

I haven't been thinking a lot about hope lately. The lull between election and inauguration has left me a little empty. Not hopeless...just in limbo.

Everyone else in the world is getting ready for Christmas.
The Catholics across the street from my apartment were putting up a manger while a priest looked on...
My impression is that he would be a tough critic.

There are always hazy lights at the end of the tunnel.
Co-Worker Michelle had a birthday!

I bought her a birthday donut and perversely lit it with too many candles.
She still seemed impressed with the effort!

I stopped here tonight for another bright gleaming light at the end of my tunnel!


I met up with Mama Kel for a Thursday night cocktail!
Just FYI, The Bank has a super ladies' night special - dollar drinks, my friends!
So, let's just plan to meet each other down there next Thursday, okay?


Still, I had to hightail it out of there to see a movie with Baby S and his friend Sam.
I'd like to think that his friend Sam is now my friend Sam.

The Mayan Theater.
As I was driving there, I realized that I hadn't been to The Mayan since I saw Lost Highway there so, so, so many years ago.
It's kind of the perfect place to see a David Lynch movie...

Milk.

The Mayan is a lovely place.
Lots of secrets there, I can tell you.

Baby S and I split a popcorn (they use real butter, you guys!)...and he had a Cherry Coke and I had a Mint Melange hot tea.

It was approximately 500 degrees in the theater, but for some reason it didn't bother me.

It fit the ambiance of the room!

I have to say, this movie really effected me.
I didn't expect it to, but it did.
The opening scenes of gay men in an intolerant San Francisco being herded from safe haven bars for their "deviance" broke my heart. Shame and misery intermingled with exposure...those are the kinds of emotions no human should have to endure for the color of their skin, their sexual preference, or whatever other inherent qualities that are the very fabric of a person's being.

At the end, I found tears rolling down my cheeks as I tried to imagine a time when hope really meant something. It meant something to all those brave crusaders that were seeking equality with their peers in a city that embraced a willingness to change.

I think we're all hoping that same spirit of hope can be maintained with the election of our new President! I'm crossing my fingers - because believing in people, focusing your energy toward something promising isn't foolish...it's the most intuitive thing you can do.


Yes.
Keep your heart open.
Yes.

2 comments:

Maura said...

"At the end, I found tears rolling down my cheeks as I tried to imagine a time when hope really meant something. It meant something to all those brave crusaders that were seeking equality with their peers in a city that embraced a willingness to change."

One of my vocab words for the novel "Speak" is revolutionary... I think your words are an incredible definition of that. I will be sharing this with them.
lovemaura

Becky Hensley said...

I'm honored MB!

Thanks, love for frequenting my blog and being so amazingly sweet!

xox