Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Leash Called Love


Quickly, before my inner pre-teen's sleepy dreams take over...
I went to see 'Twilight' tonight.
There was but one other soul in the theater besides me and Baby S - some lonely girl holed up in one of the top rows with a bucket of popcorn and the same wanton, far away look in her eyes that I had.

Yeah, I'll admit it. I'm one of those 30 somethings that are engrossed in the Twilight Saga. Generally, when something's really popular I shy away, but when Maura B endorsed the first book...I had to investigate.

The books aren't great, by any means, but the character Edward...the main dreamsicle vampire...is enough to keep reading. He's every girl's fantasy and it's hard to avoid his uncharacteristic commitment and sophistication.

In the movie, the actor that plays Edward (Robert Pattinson) is such a fox that I actually had butterflies when the movie started...
I mean, seriously.
The only other time I felt that way about an actor, I was three...and it was John Travolta in 'Grease'!

At any rate, the movie wasn't bad as I expected it to be and my fan-dom was so overwhelming that it made me feel young. And you really can't put a price on that.




Also, tonight I picked up 'Stick Around For Joy' by The Sugarcubes.
I used to have this album on tape...way, way, way back in the day.
And I listened to it over and over again - the kind of music that defines a part of your life.
As I drove home after the movie and listened to this fine disc...I was reminded of a time, long ago, when I was younger, idealistic, and impulsively living.

You can't put a price on that either.
But I got the cd for a steal - $3.99.

5 comments:

Chris said...

I've avoided the books and the movie. I worry for my manhood if I get sucked in.

Might go see Punisher War Zone instead, even though the reviews are terrible. I'm not a big fan of really violent movies, but it is the frickin' Punisher, for crissakes! That was one of my favorite funny books for years.

Becky Hensley said...

CHRIS! These books are taking over my life!

I'm late for work because I stay up until all hours reading...

I think about it far more than I should.
Gotta get my hands on something sobering - a book that isn't a trashy romance novel for teens.

Like...a copy of Kant's 'Metaphysics of Morals'!

And Punisher War Zone has one of the hot dudes from Rome in it...Tell me how it is!

xox

Maura said...

I had to ground myself from the novels because I wasn't sleeping or working. My teaching was falling behind and I'm still making up my grading...

You nailed my attraction to these books when you said, "it's hard to avoid his uncharacteristic commitment and sophistication." This applies to another boy too...Have you read that far?

My question:
Edward v. Jacob?
lovemaura

Becky Hensley said...

Dude, I'm DEEP into 'Eclipse' right now...

And I don't care what anyone says, I'm Team Edward forev.

Seriously, I want to get them read because I can't be late to work anymore. I want to get them read because I need to quiet my vampire obsession!

xox

Chris said...

I went and saw Australia, featuring Hugh Jardon as the leading man. It was okay; I don't hate myself for liking it either.