Monday, December 1, 2008

Wyoming, Wyoming, Why Have I Never Been To Wyoming

It's important to take the time to return to your roots.

The land never lies. It does what it's always done for as long as any of us could remember.

Wyoming is a pretty wonderful place. It gets a bad rap.

If you have some time, take a drive through Wyoming. Don't be jaded. Don't be judgmental. Just take it in and try to see the beauty. It's there and absolutely overwhelming at times.

Golden light is the very best kind.

I was headed to Glenrock, WY this weekend for Thanksgiving.
This is their newspaper. If you look close, the paper has been around since 1922.


This is where I stayed. This house belongs to our family friend Jan.
The house is on the main street in Glenrock. It used to be a place where babies were born and is rumored to be haunted.
I'll admit, I had some nightmares about children...but I had several hot buttered rums before I hit the hay. That might have had something to do with it.

In Jan's backyard - can you spot the lonesome bra?


Jan's house is amazing. It's filled with this kind of stuff.


The kind of ephemera that you know has a story and you wish you had the time to hear all the stories.


Jan also keeps her clothes pins in this Esprit bag.
I covet it.
I bet it has some stories. I wonder where my old Esprit bag is.


Glenrock has secrets.


I wish I'd had time to go investigate them.


Alas, there was a turkey being prepped...


There were pies being made - caramel apple, pumpkin, and lemon.


Dressing...my favorite!


Look! It's my adorable mom setting the table!


There was going to be a pretty big crew.


And a big crew means a lot of food! Look at the bowl of gravy!


The turkey was browned and handsome!


Here's my plate! All the fixins', as they say...


And, embarrassingly, I cleaned my plate and then some!
After dinner, I sat around reading "Twilight" fully engrossed in and in love with Edward Cullen.



The rest of the weekend, I toddled around Glenrock and Casper (a nearby town).


There are sights to see...


The high school team is called The Herders. My friend Steph used to be a Herder!


There's art around there too!


Quaint, right? Actually, kind of perfect.


Apparently, the P Diddy (yes, that is what it is called - although, I don't think they named it after that mouth breather rapper) is the spirit animal of Glenrock.
This one is a pharmacist.


I look forward to returning to these places. I look forward to mapping the land.


There's always more sights to see.

4 comments:

Maura said...

I would love to organize that house! CLUTTER!!!! AAAHHHH!!! You know me!
And, I'm pretty sure Steph is still a herder.
(I don't really know what that means. I just want to see if I can get her to respond!)
lovemaura

Becky Hensley said...

That's funny because Jan doesn't call it crap, or junk, or clutter, or even antiques.

She calls it "resources"...and for some reason that makes it sound so much more reasonable!

She also says things like, "She's a case!".

Oh, and I heard someone in Glenrock say, "He was so ripshitted!"...meaning drunk.
And I'm totally stealing that the same way I thiefed "hammski'd"!

xox

Chris said...

Does anyone ever hassle you about being the one taking copious photos at all your shindigs?

And don't you wish someone would pay you to travel around and explore all this stuff more? I do. The fact that no one will frustrates the bejeezus out of me.

Becky Hensley said...

Chris...
Mostly, any hassle, comes from people who tire of the camera up in their eye - Like my pal Spencer, for example.

Still, I think (and this is a broad, but seemingly true generalization)most people like to see their pictures somewhere in a publicized format...
We're all a little vain that way.
So, on the whole, I think people are glad I'm documenting it...so they don't have to.

And yes, WHO will pay us to go on adventures!?
I've been trying to figure this mystery out for ages!
I'll keep my eye out for investors...and when a deal comes through I'll tell them that I can't do it without you!

xox