Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Here Comes Your Shitty Future

Brandy Lou came to rescue me from Central London and took me deep into the heart of Camden. And Camden, I found out, was where I was supposed to be the whole time.

Camden is a wonderful mix of hipsters, punk rockers, and young people...and it felt like my home away from home.

We had dinner and talked about a million and half things, but we had to hurry to the venue to get our tickets to the show.

The Electric Ballroom was a total surprise.
From the outside, the place looks tiny...but as you step in, it spreads out with an upstairs and large main room with a super huge stage.
We got some pints of cider and had a sit down while the rest of the revelers filed in.


The show started with Rollo Tomassi.
I gotta say, I wasn't a huge fan. It sounded cool...and then the screaming started.
And not the kind of screaming I like.

But the second the lead singer of F*ucked Up hit the stage...madness ensued.
The kind of madness I like.

The first thing he did was climb up on these giant speakers.


Many bellies were exposed.

When everyone started shouting jump, he made a joke about how many people he would kill and the audience suddenly seemed to become aware of what a catastrophe that would be.

Brandy was such a fine partner in crime. Throwing back Magners and keeping me in check.

These guys were fucking great.

They rocked out and blew my mind.

We were all surprised when the lead singer managed to make his way out to us.

Brandy Lou got an eyeful of body hair and back fat.

The audience held up his mic cord as he roamed around the venue kickin' ass.



I took a little video because this guy had me cracking up!









We were having a time!

The Bronx!

Holy! Do these guys ever rip shit up!
Everyone went fucking crazy and Brandy and I were following suit.






Surprisingly, the pit was super friendly.
People would go in and out, but the folks on the fringes always helped them out, tousled them gently on the heads, and let them catch their breath.

It was weird to be quite honest.
Most of the pits I see around Denver are filled with vindictive dicks that want to hurt everyone.

Actually, everyone at the show was really nice. I guess, if you're a Electric Ballroom regular, you probably hate it as much as all of us hate our local hangouts...
But on the whole, the vibe was really cool and everyone treated each other with respect.
I even got a whole drink spilled on my head and it wasn't a big deal!

After the show, Brandy and I walked over to the Dublin Castle for more drinks and laughter!

We passed this place - 'Spread Eagle'.
It's a shitty pic, I know, but I couldn't resist.

The Dublin Castle is known for it's connection to the band Madness...
But these days, it's sort of a rad indie hang out - still gritty enough, though, for a couple of sweaty girls!

Sippin'!

There's Miss Brandy - observing everything!
She's a real special young lady and the daughter of my dear friend Mama Kel!

Strangely, as we sat shooting the shit with some dude named Keith...the bands walked through the door.


Here's me and the lead singer of The Bronx.
He sort of looks like my Dad...which is a bit disconcerting.

And sadly, here's my dumb face with the lead singer of F*cked Up.

I have no excuses - but Brandy got me drunk on cider!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are great, Becky! hahah i appeared to be so terrified of the backfat. Also, I got your card today! It really made my day, thank you so much. We had so much fun, i'm really glad you got to come out and see where i've been living the past three months... so sad it'll all be over soon.
see you soon!

Becky Hensley said...

Honey, you should have been afraid...that's some serious backfat!

Glad you got the card! Hurray!

I had a blast and thank you so kindly for putting up with me!

Enjoy the time while you're there!
Drink a couple ciders for me, take it all in, but don't forget...it will be with you forever...and you can ALWAYS go back!

Be safe and we'll make a casserole when you get back!

xox

Chris said...

Don't fear the hairy back fat. It deserves the occasional fingernail rake marks as much as the lily white backs of those fey little vampire boys the ladies seem to be going on and on about these days.

Becky Hensley said...

Ha!

It was simply a statement of fact...not a judgment!

I can get behind some back fat - I actually have a little myself.

And hairy has never sent me running for the hills!

Despite my propensity for "fey little vampire boys" (GOD, I LOVE THAT YOU USED THE WORD FEY!)...can't knock big dudes!

xox