Friday, March 20, 2009

You Have Got To Be The Last One Standing

The remainder of my trip I did my way.
No silly bus tours, no guided walks, no forced smiles and complacent nodding.

I wandered out beyond the hotel, back to Trafalgar square, where people congregate and take in the beauty of this center spot in the city's heart.



The National Gallery.






I maneuvered my way through Soho, Covent Garden, and over through Piccadilly.

But I didn't feel like taking pictures of stuff I've seen a million times before...
Places, that in person, aren't half as interesting as what's going on around those places.

While in Soho, a black cab almost killed me.
I was listening to something unpleasant on my iPod, started fiddling with the switches, and turned to see the hood of the sleek, boxy vehicle halfway up my ass.
I shouted out a "Woo", waved apologies, and skulked to the other sidewalk. I never really felt like I got the hang of the streets there.
Silly American.

When I managed my way back to the hotel, there was a protest going on...

They were holding hands and shouting.

I stayed for a moment and observed...

It was nice to see a little civil disobedience.




Here's where things get a little sketchy...
I stopped taking pictures. It was too much of a hassle. I wanted to see things - Not line them up in the display of my camera.

Brandy came and rescued me again...one night...
We went back to the Dublin Castle and just talked and drank Bulmers and it felt like I was "there"...not just a tourist.
I was sitting on a bar stool, slumped in bad posture liked the rest of the people, occupying the bar - just being.
It felt good.

We stopped at The World's End too.
Some drunk German fellows hit on Brandy and I overtly...stuck their tongues out at us...and then left.
It was legitimately a lot of fun!

My last day in London was sort of bittersweet...obvs.
I spent a good portion of the morning repacking and getting my belongings in order.
I forwarded postcards to people back in the States.

I wanted everything to be in place because I had super special plans for the evening and knew that I would be dragging ass in the morning on the way back to Heathrow.

I had a date with my rad internet friend Catherine!
We had never met. My mom told me to be careful - if she was a nut...BAIL!
Funny - Catherine's husband Sean had a similar sentiment!

Luckily, I adored Catherine!
She has the sharpest wit! She's real, lovely, and my kind of people! I was lucky have an opportunity to meet her.

We stopped back at the World's End for a drink while waiting for Catherine's equally fantastic friend Lynn to show!
It was a supreme lady hang!

We all wore our best finery.
Clearly, Catherine took it to the next level with these really divine shoes - I'm pretty sure I told her 15 times that I was madly in love with her!

Catherine & Lynn
We had decided on having some Indian food, as Camden is known for it...and I'm mad about it!
On the walk over, Catherine had to pause - those shoes may be divine, but they were super brutal.
Beauty hurts.

Dinner was amazing.
I would have taken pictures, but the preliminary ciders I had before dinner had me too tight to focus on anything but naan and my unbelievable Chicken Xucatti!

After dinner, we hit the Boston Music Room in Tufnell Park for Dirty Water Club!

We got busy checking out the scene, looking at the gentleman - in particular, one Johnny Guitar, and listening to the bands that were playing that evening.


New, old friends.

This band was called Suzy & the Quattros! They were from Spain and were really fun!

Later, My Drug Hell played...

They were older, greasy, mysterious rockers.

I think we liked them...

I was having so much fun! The scene was so perfect - all kinds of different people for people watching, great company, music, and my favorite past time - HATIN'.

Throughout the night, Cat, Lynn, and I were all mystified by this truly terrifying girl in a black and white striped dress.
She was a beast and not a one of us could tear our eyes away from her hideousness.
Trouble is, she was drunk as a skunk and was all over the joint getting in everyone's eye.

Suddenly, Catherine had a realization...she said, "If I take a picture of her, will you post it next to a picture of the zebra from Madagascar?"...
And that was a promise that I could indeed keep.



Scary, right?

As the night drew to a close, the three of us jumped into a cab, the ladies jumped out at Euston Station for a long ride back to Hemel Hempstead, and I...back to Charing Cross.
My last night in London - pretty perfect.

I won't bore you with the recap of the flights back.
They were boring and tedious - I didn't watch 'Twilight' again though. Promise!

It's sort of hard to reflect on where you've been when you're back where you were.
Still, I had an amazing trip and am so lucky for the opportunity!

I want to thank my Mom, Brandy, Catherine, and Lynn for making the trip such an absolute delight!

There's more adventures to come...

5 comments:

Chris said...

I bet the phrase "It hurts to be beautiful" is uttered in this house multiple times a week. I love that you said that (well, pretty much said it anyway)!

I was sitting on a bar stool, slumped in bad posture liked the rest of the people, occupying the bar - just being.

I know exactly what you mean. I had the same experience at the Rainbow in LA last week hanging out with a friend of mine . . . an Englander I had only talked to online. It ceased to be "the place where Lenny hangs out" or the mecca that all these rock idols from my youth sprang from, and instead was just another place to share good company. It was awesome.

Your online English friend is much cuter than mine, though.

Becky Hensley said...

That's some sage wisdom my mother passed down to me when I watched her and a friend wrangle a pair of jeans on one another and zip them, respectively, with a pair of pliers.

Beauty's a rough game!

You know, thank you for commenting on my blog because you say really nice stuff that makes me feel like what I'm writing means something.

And yeah, Cat's a real looker, isn't she...
I only hang out with the most lovely ladies!

xox

Chris said...

I like your blog. I like your pictures, and I like how you document your life but don't whine incessantly. Plus anyone who references The Kraken has got to be a-ok in my book!

Becky Hensley said...

Thanks Chris...I like your blog too!

I'm hoping to be in Missoula again this summer for Total Fest. I hope perhaps you'll join me for a beer!

xox

Chris said...

I will join you for sure! I hope we get to play. I'll have two bands in the running, though I'm sure neither will make the cut.