Sunday, March 15, 2009

I'm Not Uncomfortable Feeling Weird

Renewed and refreshed, I made my way to the Tate Modern.
It was within a reasonable walking distance and, of course, there were a million beautiful and interesting things to take in!

This small enclave was filled with all kinds of graffiti, kids skateboarding, tourists taking pictures, and a small fashion photo shoot.

I love that Smurf jerking off.

It was grimy and tempting.

Coincidentally, this was powered up on the sidelines...
I wonder what remains.

The stories about London being overcast are clearly true.
Still, I'm a big fan of gloomy. I'm crazy about cloudy. And being here was meeting all of my expectations.

This dude was just kicking it in the corner there.
He had a great view.


Tate Modern.

Like I mentioned before, there isn't a lot that you can photograph in museums, obvs.
But there is a very intriguing installation in the Turbine Hall that was so grand and overwhelming.
It all started with these plastic strips hanging at the bottom of the stairs.

From the stairs, you walk under the platform and are greeted by rows and rows of bunk beds.

And just beyond are two monumental pieces.
One is a terrifying spider with a full egg sac hanging from it.
The other is a violent red angular monstrosity.
Both are hard to take in because the sheer size and scope of their presence.

Each bunk bed had a science fiction book stuck to it with a wiry connector.
Authors like Ursula Le Guin, Phillip K. Dick, JG Ballard, Ray Bradbury and HG Wells.




It's hard to see, but bottom left...there's a giant apple core.
To the right was a huge screen with movies being projected on it.
Godard, Van Sant, Truffaut, De Palma, Polansky...




The Tate Modern is SO worth the stop!
A lot of modern art makes me want to scream and demand answers...but so much of it prompts questions and discussion.
This was a time when I wished I had someone with me so I could complain, praise, and argue about what I'd seen.

For some reason this so phallic to me.


From the Tate Modern, you can see St. Paul's Cathedral and it sort of calls to you long distance.

So, I hopped on the Millennium Bridge across the Thames to check it out.

So much change is happening in London. Building, rebuilding, beautification, restoration.

Shoot! I forgot!
This is Shakespeare's Globe Theatre!

Quite a sight, eh?

The architecture of St. Paul's Cathedral, as well as it's surrounding courtyard, is just magnificent.




This tree had just wrapped itself around this fence and for a moment, I don't know why, I felt like I was a lyric in a Smiths' song.










I decided to explore the interior of the church and I can tell you, without a doubt, that it is the most palatial thing ever.
However, no photos.
So, take my word for it.


There's a crypt inside the church and visitors are allowed to explore it.
I couldn't help but linger down there.

By the way, although I'm not religious in any way, shape, or form...I still lit two candles.
For friends and for family. This means you.
I figured we all need all the help me can get.
Send it out there - it might come back, eh?



I walked around a bit more before I decided to hightail it back to Charing Cross for dinner.

Brandy Lou was meeting up with us and we were dragging her out for a posh dinner with a bunch of Radiologic Technologist types.
(FYI: My mom was there to meet and commune with other x-ray people regarding a fairly successful forensic radiology program they have in the UK)


Loved this.



More to come...

No comments: